Recommended Privacy Resources
Table of Contents
Why does Privacy Matter?
“Privacy is a fundamental right, and essential to democracy, liberty, and freedom of speech. Our privacy is being abused by governments (with mass-surveillance), corporations (profiting from selling personal data), and cyber criminals (stealing our poorly-secured personal data and using it against us). Security is needed in order to keep your private data private, and good digital security is critical to stay protected from the growing risks associated with the war on data.” - Lissy93
- PrivacyRights.org - Resources - Learn your privacy rights.
Family, Children, and Teens:
- FTC - Protecting Kids Online - Resources for teaching your children about digital security.
- NetSmartz - Resources - Resources for protecting your family online.
Identity Theft Protection and Assistance:
- Free Credit Report - Get your free annual credit report from the three major credit agencies.
- IntelTechniques.com - Credit Freeze Guide - Learn how to freeze your credit with the major and minor credit agancies.
Digital Security and Hygiene:
- Michael Horowitz - Defensive Computing Checklist - Learn how to be generally secure, become aware of the active threats out there.
- IntelTechniques.com - Personal Data Removal Workbook - Learn how to remove your information from the many databrokers.
- Lissy93 - personal-security-checklist - Covers Physical Security, Digital Security, and Digital Hygiene.
File Complaints and Report Fraud:
- Report a Missing, Abused or Sexually Exploited Child
- File a cyber-related complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) - Identity Theft, SPAM, Online Scams, etc.
- File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) - Cyber Crimes, Hacks, Digital Theft, etc.
- Abine DeleteMe - Preferred Delete your records from major data brokers
- OneRep - Alternate Delete your records from major data brokers
- Privacy Duck - Alternate Delete your records from major data brokers
- Abine Blur - Alternate Password manager, identity masking, and one-time-use debit cards
- Privacy.com - Preferred - Generate one-time-use debit cards
- Deseat.Me - Assists you in submitting GDPR requests for account deletion.
- AccountKiller - Provides documentation on how to delete your account from various services.
- JustDeleteAccount - Provides documentation on how to delete your account from various services.
- JustDeleteMe - Prefered - Provides documentation on how to delete your account from various services.
- VanishList - Provides documentation on how to delete your account from the most common services.